kabocha



Kabocha, not to be confused with Kombucha, is a delicious japanese squash pumpkin.  I don't know if it's more like a squash or a pumpkin, but picture it as a combo of both, and even add a little taste of sweet potato in there, and I swear the one I just bought smelled kinda like a melon.  If you've eaten a lot of japanese food, you've probably already eaten it.  It's super common as a side dish and soooooo good as tempura.  I've been eating Kabocha since I grew my first tooth, and most likely even before that.  It is scrumptiously sweet and a beautiful shade of orange, perfect for the fall.  This weekend, I simply roasted a kabocha along with onions, garlic, and kale.  Super easy (except for cutting the kobocha... when it comes to cutting it, it is definitely more like a pumpkin) and super healthy.  If you roast or steam it long enough, the skin of the kabocha is soft and edible and probably jam packed with vitamins and such, but it's up to you.

Roasted Kabocha with Onions and Kale
♥ 1 kabocha
♥ 1 medium onion
♥ 2 cups Kale
♥ 2 cloves of garlic
♥ cooking spray
♥ salt and pepper to taste

♥ pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Chop the onion and add to a roasting/baking pan/dish.  I seriously don't know what they are called.  Mine looks like a glass bowl.  Chop one garlic clove and add over the onion.  Cover with a quick spritz of cooking spray.  You can use oil instead, but I wanted to keep the fat content down.  Next add the kale.  I tore the kale into iphone sized pieces.  Cover again with cooking spray and add a little salt and pepper.  I used garlic and herb salt to add a little extra flavor.  Cutting the kabocha was a serious ordeal for me.  For one thing, our knife was kinda dull and I was scared of puncturing myself the whole time, but in the end I did manage to cut them into small-ish pieces.  Add the kabocha on top of the Kale along with the last clove of chopped garlic and cover with more baking spray and salt and pepper.  I had way too much kabocha since my baking pan/dish/bowl was too small, so I saved some to use for later.  You could probably mix the onion, kale, and kabocha together and then bake it, but I liked how it looked in layers.  Bake for 45 min to an hour until the kabocha is soft.  It takes a while for the skin to soften.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment