Fish Ball Experiments

Since I was a little girl, I have had a fascination and love for ikura, or fishballs as my husband likes to call it.  Ikura (salmon roe) makes most people I know cringe, but I think it's beyond awesome.  I liken it to my love of Harry Potter.  Well.. almost.  When I was at the Japanese market the other day, I saw something that made my heart flutter.  Special onigiri seaweed paper.  So I decided to try my hand at onigiri, which is Japanese for rice balls.  It also gave me the chance to finally use my triangular rice mold I impulsively bought last year.  Overall, it was a very tasty experiment, though a little disastrous.  I had the brilliantly stupid idea of being healthy and using a brown and wild rice combo.  Though scrumptious, my healthy rice wasn't exactly sticky and eating my rice balls was a bit of a mess.  But a tasty mess nonetheless.  Needless to say, I will be trying this again soon!



I mixed in rice seasoning to add some extra flavor

I made a little hole with a spoon to make room for the ikura



For the vegetarian















No comments:

Post a Comment