Miso Ramen

I've been on the topic of Japan for a while now, and it's not going to stop.  I had one of the greatest culinary trips that I've had in a while, and I haven't been able to get rid of the cravings for Japanese food.  It's pretty normal for me to eat sushi 3 or 4 times a week, but the doc told me I have a high mercury level, go figure, so I've been trying to behave myself.  Emphasis on the trying.  I've never been very good at cooking Japanese food because I can never make it look as good as it does in the motherland, but I came home determined.  So here is my attempt at miso ramen.  I need to tweak the recipe a bit to make it perfect, but I've got to say, attempt #1 wasn't bad.  Not bad at all.







Miso Ramen Recipe
♥ 4 cups water
♥ 4 tbsp red miso paste
♥ 1/2 tsp hondashi
♥ fresh ramen noodles for 2 people
♥ dried wakame (seaweed)
♥ 1/2 cup scallions chopped 
♥ 1 cup bean sprouts
♥ 2 shitake mushrooms chopped
♥ 1 cup cabbage 
♥ soy sauce to taste (optional)

♥ Boil 4 cups of water, then add the miso and hondashi.  Reduce heat to medium and add shitake, cabbage, and dried wakame.  Let sit for a minute or two, then reduce heat to simmer.  Add bean sprouts and scallions last.  I added them right before I took the pot of the stove.  Taste the miso mix and if it needs more salt, add a little soy sauce until it suits you.   In a separate pot, boil some water and add ramen noodles.  Since the noodles are fresh, they should be done in about 3 minutes.  To serve, put the noodles in a bowl and pour the miso awesomeness over it.  I added a little sriracha to mine cause I like it spicy.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment