verbal diarrhea

Not to toot my own familial horn, but my dad is a total genius.  My reasoning being that he's an Okie engineer - turned - photographer - turned - sailor - turned - Tahitian nomad - turned - art collector - turned - serious art collector - turned awesome dad - turned even awesomer octogenarian.   That's a total mouthful that doesn't make any sense, but you get my drift.  He has transformed a life that should have left him as a pipe welder in Oklahoma to a life fit for the most interesting man in the world.   My dad is way radder than that guy in the Dos Equis commercials.  But there's one thing about my dad that isn't quite so rad, and that is what my sister refers to as his "verbal diarrhea."  Before I became curator of his Japanese art collection, The Etsuko and Joe Price Collection, my dad would commission my sister to edit any speech or article he was to give to the world of Japanese art.  I never understood why my sister would throw such fits about the matter, until I had to edit my first article for The Price Collection.  Wow!  I had to write some pretty hefty essays as a history major in college, but nothing compares to the agony of trying to make sense of a hand-written rough draft from my father.  For example, I had to write a large article based on this solitary sentence my dad gave me:

It was a collection inspired by two architects, one, FLLW, who taught me the love of nature etc etc and so forth but not “art.”

This is a very tame example of the verbal diarrhea... I don't want to be mean.  My dad has so much going on in that lovely grey covered dome of his, that he just regurgitates all his ideas onto paper without thinking of actually putting words into any kind of logical thought process.  And as you can see by my writing, I take after him a bit. Someone help me.  But after all the blood, sweat, and tears that accompany writing things for my father, comes the satisfaction of knowing that people will be a little more informed about beautiful Japanese works of art, especially when they get published on YouTube.   This particular doozy of a film script left me plucking out a ton of my hair, but in the end, it looks great.  This is just a 3 minute outtake from the original film, but if you'd like to see the whole thing, we are going to sell them at the Bowers Museum and the proceeds will go to the earthquake and tsunami relief in Japan.  I'll keep you all posted when I have details of how to buy it.  In the meantime, enjoy this video about one the greatest artists to ever live, Ito Jakuchu.


No comments:

Post a Comment